Saturday, 12 August 2017

Not Even One Thing



A lovely reader suggested I give myself a little bit of slack allowing myself to buy one thing over the year of not buying clothes.


 I live about 300 metres from a charity shop, though my town and local city don't have ANY consignment shops, but have decided that I am not going to even buy one thing.


The problem is that for me, it's a slippery slope. The moment I buy one thing, then a buying avalanche ensues and it becomes 2 and 3 and 4 and so on.


Utter and total abstinence, a bit like I am with alcohol. I find, that whilst very rigid, total abolishment of the thing doing me no good works best. I simply don't do 'a little bit' very well. I guess you could say I am a kind of all or nothing person in many ways.


This serves me well, mostly. Except when I fall off the wagon, I fall off to the extremity I previously demonstrated in my rigidity.


I am determined to do this. I just know that this will be the making of me. Far beyond what I will save, will be the self-esteem, the knowledge that I finally succeeded in killing a very bad, destructive, life-long habit.


The only possibility of my buying anything in the clothing area is if someone gives me money or a gift card to a place I could buy something I think I need. But most people don't do that, they know my attachment to coffee and coffee vouchers far surpass my wish to buy more clothing.


It's super early days. But this time I have a confidence I will achieve my goal.


It could also be down to the fact that yesterday I discovered a pair of black skinny leg jeans I didn't even know I owned...which made me realise there are likely to be several billion other items that I have but didn't realise.


A whole new wardrobe is about to be birthed!

3 comments:

  1. I'm with you, I find it exceptionally difficult to reduce or moderate when there's something I want to change. It's far easier for me to go without altogether, when I do that I just switch it off and treat it as though it's totally off limits.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I get that, I am the same way about exercise. I had an extremely difficult time yesterday getting to 10,000 steps but didn't want to break 40 days of it so did my time on the treadmill with the same thought, if I fail to do it one day the whole thing will go sideways :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can do it! :)

    ReplyDelete